Wholesale Distribution Industry: Buy Smarter and Service Better
No wholesale distributor has ever been able to see the future. But for decades, wholesalers could at least rely on their historical sales data to give them a highly reliable picture of what was likely to happen over the months to come. Today’s marketplace is different. Demand patterns are so complex, they’re inscrutable to many wholesale distributors, who respond by overstocking inventory and paying the inflated costs that inevitably result. Frustrated by the imprecision of forecasts based on historical sales data, many distributors have also tried using moving averages but still find that their forecasts don’t provide the insights they need to succeed.
The Demand Solutions Digital Supply Chain Platform can help wholesale distributors assess market demand alongside their own inventory levels so that they can buy with confidence and service customers more profitably.
Wholesale distributors use Demand Solutions to:
- Develop forward-looking, optimized plans by product, customer, channel, and geography.
- Buy inventory when customers need it—not on standard buying cycles.
- Reduce safety stock levels through better demand visibility and inventory management.
- Plan further into the future while maintaining short-term precision and refinement.
- Mitigate risk while embracing business opportunities and increasing profits.
Make More Profitable Forward-Buy Decisions
Buy. Hold. Sell. Growing your business as a wholesale distributor revolves around your ability to repeat this cycle with consistent profitability. But for many distributors, disconnected legacy systems make it nearly impossible to form an integrated view of the business. With full visibility into current inventory levels and rich insights into future demand—all on one screen—distributors can make smarter, more strategic forward-buy decisions that pave the way to profits.
With Demand Solutions, wholesale distributors can:
- Develop highly accurate forecasts with minimal human effort by using machine learning.
- Manage by exception—not by crisis—with integrated performance management.
- Make fast, strategic forward-buy comparisons that compare costs on a time-phased basis.
- Optimize vendor-requested buys, holding extra inventory for key accounts.
- Balance inventory across distribution centers—with less human effort.
- Streamline new product introductions by using algorithms to plan products with tricky histories.